I found my NF straw bonnet from earlier this year hiding behind other sewing stuff, and I finally finished up the last few strips on it. So that's done! I'll probably use that for Pisces instead of making a new straw hat for it.
So I was a little bored Friday night, and I started reading some of the sewing books I got from the library. One of them was a sewing guide reference book by Threads (awesome book by the way) and I stumbled across the section on welt pockets. I've heard people complain about how difficult they are, saw May struggle to make practice pockets galore and still not get it right. So I decided to try my hand at making one.
Two hours later...
Well, part of the reason it took two hours was because I hand sewed everything except for the stitching on the welts before sewing them on. Part of the reason why I wanted to hand sew it was because I knew I could have more control on the very precise corners. That and I ran out of thread on my bobbin and I was too lazy to wind another one. That too. Also, my hand sewing for this was more atrocious than usual. Hints why some thread can be seen. A bit counterproductive, but...
Verdict? It's tedious. No one can say it isn't. Though there's a certain zen to it (perhaps I'm confusing that with all the hand sewing). And they look impressive if done perfectly. Mine wasn't too perfect (It's crooked on the right side! Grr!), but hey, it was my first time making one.
I also got Period Costumes for Stage and Screen at the library. A pity it was the 1500-1800 one. Not my cup of tea time period wise, but I do plan on making working/middle class Renaissance garments eventually, so the chemise and partlet patterns could be useful. I wonder if it will be more or less difficult jumping from time period to time period and having to figure out your body in comparison to the silhouette you need to have for that period. Something to think about.
Well, the year will be winding down pretty soon. Here's to another year of sewing!